Congratulations to Tim Gibney who was awarded Life Membership at our Annual General Meeting on 25th November.
Tim's involvement with the club has spanned many decades and the awarding of Life Membership is very deserved.
As a player he has played as:
- goalkeeper in his younger years as a CHC player
- Victorian State Indoor Goalkeeper of distinction in his younger years
- field player or goal keeper in more senior teams over the years
- is still involved as a field player in our Masters section, and
- has been a CHC member all of his hockey career.
His contribution to the club and to the sport of hockey in general over many decades has been considerable, including:
- Integral member of the original sub-committee which instituted the Minkey Program (forerunner of Hookin2Hockey) in about 1982, and which program has produced many future (current) stars and expanded the junior player base of CHC significantly
- Active and persuasive recruiter for this program, bring many non-hockey families into the CHC fold
- Coached many junior mixed teams for a considerable number of past years (every year for well over 10+ years) - both winter season and summer indoor season
- Coached junior girls teams for at least 5 years
- Coached senior women’s teams
- For many years he planned, implemented and conducted numerous goalie clinics, and knowledge sessions, for aspiring goalkeepers – both junior and senior – as well as for those goalkeepers looking to improve
- Has, for many years, volunteered to umpire CHC matches where no umpires have been rostered on by HV, or else have not been available to umpire at the last moment. We estimate that the amount of games umpired by Tim under those conditions would be well over 500 and more than likely closer to 600. As an umpire, his performance has always been at a high standard and, just as importantly, performed impartially.
- Attended many, many working bees over the years
- Significant involvement in, and adviser to, various subcommittees in the establishment of our past synthetic playing pitches – both as an experienced hockey player and utilizing his engineering knowledge over the 3 installations (thus far)
- Significant involvement in the past additions to, and upgrade of, our existing clubrooms including liaising with Boroondara Council officers, its engineering staff and its Department of Recreation staff; external contractors; and relevant external professionals, utilizing his considerable professional engineering knowledge and experience
- Significant contribution to the men’s section as Chair of Selectors for many years
- On behalf of CHC, has offered his skills as a Victorian State Selector on many occasions - which offer was always taken up promptly by Hockey Victoria (HV)
- Current Grounds Liaison person with Teamsports (the contractor which installed the latest iteration of our synthetic playing surface) in regard to any problems/repairs etc. in regard to that playing surface
- Has been proactive over many years in proposing projects/improvements for the betterment of the Club
- When asked, he has never refused a request to lend his professional (and hockey) expertise for the betterment/benefit of CHC
Congratulations Tim on your Life Membership of the Camberwell Hockey Club.